10 Days Street Photography workshop – Varanasi & Kolkata JAN 21-31, 2024
Both cities are amazing for photographers , Varanasi is often called the photographers paradise, with its foggy winter days which create a dreamlike quality to the ghats and add mystery to the street scenes.
In Varanasi, you will wander through the labyrinthine alleys of the old city, witness the daily rituals performed on the Ganges river, and interact with the friendly locals.
Kolkata on the other hand is the favorite playground of India’s street scene. The streets there are so authentic that you feel you are going back in time. You be amazed by the colonial-era architecture, the colorful bazaars, and the vibrant street life of this metropolis.
Kolkata’s yellow taxis, the flower market, and the colonial buildings create a crazy mix of photographic opportunities.
This street photography workshop is suitable for photographers of all levels, from beginners to advanced, and we provide personalized guidance and feedback to help you improve your photography.
Join our exciting street photography tour in Varanasi and Kolkata, India, and capture the vibrant, colorful, and bustling street scenes of these two historic cities!
|Location||Varanasi & Kolkata, India|
|Dates||21-31 January 2024 (10 full days)|
|Group Size||5 Participants|
In this workshop the main focus is on documentary & street photography. There are no pre-set shoots or models, we photograph reality as it is. We are there to witness and tell visual stories of the places we visit and the people we meet.
- We will shoot throughout the whole day. We will start early in the morning and have breaks for food, critique and theoretical explanations. Be ready for an intense photographic schedule, because that’s why you are here, to get better, to follow a passion.
- Gil believes that a theory needs to be paired with practical experience, therefore during the workshop there will be hours for theoretical photography study. We will go through many slides that will help the participants improve their photography.
- Every day the participants will split into small 2-3 person teams and work in a specific area(within the same location). Gil will spend time with you individually and mix up the groups regularly, so everyone gets a fair share of his time. At the end of the day there will be a discussion and review of the photographs that have been taken.
- There is no limitation on the gear you want to work with but Gil encourages using short focal length, something in the range between 24 to 70mm, even better to get used working with prime lenses, a 28mm, 35mm or 50mm in full frame terms (that would be around 18mm, 23mm and 35mm in APS-C terms). There are many benefits to work in that way, but mostly it will give your photograph a feeling like you are a participant in the story, not merely an observer and will teach you to get close to your subjects.
This is an Independent photographer style workshop. You are encouraged to make decisions and be independent. Apart from photography you will learn how to plan a trip to such locations by yourself.
- The workshop will start in the morning of day 1 and finish in the evening of the last day. You are encouraged to arrive earlier and Gil will be around, but officially we will start early on day one.
- Prior to the trip we will create a common WhatsApp group in which we can discuss all our travel and photography arrangements for the upcoming trip. Things like visas, flights, gear, what to bring and more. You will already know each other by the time we meet.
- Before and during the workshop we will choose our own accommodation (usually a budget option) based on the shooting plan. We might stay in different hotels to suit different comfort needs. However, they should be within a short distance of each other, so we don’t waste time when preparing to go out shooting.
- We will discuss and plan our transportation to the locations, we will navigate the places like locals , using public transport, taxis, rickshaws, whatever is most convenient at that moment.
- It is acceptable to change the initial trip plan itinerary only if it is suitable for everyone in the group.
First of all it is not just an organized trip, this is an adventure therefore it is for people who like getting a bit out of their comfort zone while experiencing something new.
- This photography workshop is best suited for people with passion for traveling and candid street/documentary photography. “Passion” here is a keyword because the workshop is intense, we will shoot and walk a lot, you will probably need a rest for a week after it, but you will be happy, because you will take some of the most memorable photographs of your life.
- The people who usually join such workshops already have some experience, but beginners are welcome as well. In such an environment you can progress very fast.
- It is for people in good physical health who are capable of carrying on a day outside with limited comfort. Shooting days are long with little time for rest. Of course, sometimes you can take a few hours off, but that will come at the expense of shooting or participating in classes.
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE PRICE ?
- Tuition fees – Gil’s rich experience and knowledge will be at your disposal throughout the journey, included as part of your tuition fees. From selecting the right hotels to arranging transportation. And if you have questions or concerns along the way, Gil will be there to offer guidance and support.
- Receive valuable support and assistance from Gil before embarking on your adventure.
- Please note that participants are responsible for their own expenses, such as flights, insurance, visas, lodging, meals and any other expenses.
HOW TO SIGN UP ?
- You can sign up for the trip by sending Gil a message. There is no need to prepay anything, but about 2 months before we start, full payment is required.
- At least 3 participants are required for the workshop to start.
- For those that have signed up, you will receive confirmation from Gil as to when to commence getting travel arrangements in place
CAN I CANCEL MY PARTICIPATION? WHAT ABOUT REFUNDS?
- Yes you can and cancellation is fully refundable (minus bank transaction fees) if another person takes your place. Gil will do all in his power to find someone else to fill your spot, but if no one takes it. The fee will not be refunded.
- In the event that Gil needs to cancel the trip due to unforeseen circumstances, you will be notified as soon as possible and receive a full refund. Gil will not be responsible for any additional expenses other than the workshop fee, such as flights, accommodation, visas, or travel insurance.
Gil always does his best to help you in any trouble , but will not be responsible for any personal loss, accidents or health related issues.
PHOTOGRAPHS FROM VARANASI & KOLKATA
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN IN THE WORKSHOP?
Develop confidence to travel independently
Gil encourages you to follow your own photographic interests and take a self-directed approach to the workshop. Along with developing your skills behind the camera, you’ll also learn how to plan and execute a successful photography trip to locations like the ones we’ll be visiting.
Photographing people from close distance.
During the workshop, Gil encourages participants to work with short focal lengths and to get close and personal with their subjects. By doing so, you’ll be able to capture more intimate and expressive photographs, and to convey a greater sense of the subject’s surroundings and context.
Reportage, focus on real photography
The style of photography we are going to practice is reportage, there are no staged shots, no fisherman throwing nets for us. We will search and find our subjects by ourselves and try to shoot the most authentic photographs.
Working out a scene
To effectively tell a visual story, it’s crucial to approach each subject from a variety of angles. By exploring different perspectives and vantage points, we will learn how to capture the essence of the subject and convey its message in the most powerful way possible.
The internet is full with graphical and aesthetically pleasing street photos, but rare are those that tell a real story. Our focus will be to tell stories with our cameras, not just creating a pretty photo.
Using light creatively
There is no such thing as “bad” light, only different ways of using it to your advantage. Through Gil’s guidance, you will learn how to solve complex lighting problems on the street, enabling you to capture stunning images in any situation.
The art of matching colors
Colors surround us and the way they are combined can have a significant emotional impact on the viewer of a photograph. We will learn to see and understand the deeper meanings behind these combinations, so that we can use them to create color contrast or harmonies in our images. By exploring the intricate relationships between colors, we can create more powerful and engaging photographs that truly resonate with our audience.
Each evening, we’ll take the time to carefully examine and discuss the participants’ photographs from a compositional perspective. Through this process, you’ll gain valuable insights into the elements that make up a strong composition, including framing, balance, and the use of negative space. By the end of the workshop, you’ll have developed a keen compositional eye.
In addition to honing your skills behind the camera, we’ll also focus on the process of post-processing and editing your images to achieve the desired visual outcome. You’ll learn how to color correct and fine-tune your images using editing software. This includes techniques such as adjusting exposure, contrast, color, and sharpness.
Small Group – 5 people
If you have ever joined a group with 10+ participants you surely know how annoying it can be having many photographers hunting for the same shot, or not getting the right attention.
Gil has the habit to check on his group participants consistently, so you will get all the personal attention and guidance you need.
Learn from an expert
There is a strong emphasis on teaching. Throughout the trip you will sit through multiple presentations that are made with one purpose, to make you a better photographer.
You’ll come out of this experience with a deep understanding of street photography and the elements that make up a good street photograph.
Genuine grasp of the place
We go to the local places and meet the real people. The trips are authentic experiences that allow you to immerse yourself in the local culture and gain a deeper understanding of the destination and how to photograph it.
Gil Kreslavsky is the leader of our photography workshops, and he brings a wealth of experience and expertise to each and every trip. With a passion for capturing the people of the world through the lens of a camera, Gil has honed his craft over years of exploration and adventure. He has traveled to some of the most stunning and awe-inspiring destinations around the globe, always with a camera in hand and an eye for the perfect shot. Now, he is eager to share his knowledge and love of photography with others through his dynamic and immersive workshops, designed to inspire and educate photographers of all levels.